ith President Obama's annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard comes the predictable greeting of fans at a local eatery, the still-on-the-job speech, and, of course, the much-parsed summer reading list announcement. This year's POTUS holiday library — a selection of six books, some purchased at the local book store Bunch of Grapes — favors fiction, and eschews the great American biographies that presidents often conspicuously fancy. And while some on the Right contend that these novels reflect badly on the beleaguered Obama, others wonder if taking a break from reality isn't exactly what vacations should be about. Here's a closer look at what these books may say about our chief executive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How America's internet can become the fastest on Earth
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week