n 2009, NASA launched the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, on a mission to capture images of the entire sky with an infrared telescope. In the 14 month since its launch, WISE has captured 2.5 million images, and made a host of new discoveries, including 33,000 new asteroids and 20 comets. NASA has just released some of WISE's amazing shots to the public. Here, nine "spectacular," out-of-this-world images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
Subscribe to the Week