Everyone knows the host who throws the best holiday party and who declares, one week before, to NOT BRING ANYTHING. They say it with such severe finality and borderline hostility that you're actually afraid they'll hit you if you show up with a bottle of wine or pretty little potted plant (because Mom taught you!). These are the hosts that bring the best gifts to your party and are the hardest to shop for; they like their things because they picked them out themselves.
But even these hosts like edible gifts. It's like getting hand knit wool socks — it's cozy and thoughtful. Chances are, they'll be tickled by the gesture and eager for the recipe. Plus, these edible gifts are low maintenance travelers and will go from point A to point B without terrible things happening. There's classy brownies for the interior designer, homemade farfalle for the wine expert and DIY sriracha for that intimidating baker. Surprise! The host happens to be your mother? Bring her pumpkin bread, along with a hug.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week