et your mint juleps ready, folks, because it's Derby day. Saturday marks the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. And as most everyone knows, it's not all about the ponies. Endearingly over-the-top hats are also a major part of the festivities. Here, a photographic guide to some of our favorites from years past:
May 6, 2006 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2003 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2008 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Brent Smith)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes)
May 7, 2011 (Frank Jansky/ZUMA Press/Corbis)
May 4, 1986 (Kit Houghton/CORBIS)
May 7, 2011 (Rob Carr/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Elsa/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes/Corbis)
May 7, 2011 (Al Bello/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Jamey Price/Getty Images)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week