t takes a lot of hard work to look this good. And with more than 2,700 dogs competing in the 137th annual Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York City this week, the pressure is on for both the hounds and the handlers. Canines representing 187 breeds —including two new breeds, the Russell Terrier and the Treening Walker Coonhound — will compete for the coveted title of Best in Show. (Our money is on the Standard Poodle). And in pursuit of the top prize, handlers work hard to make sure their pride and joy is primped to perfection. Take a peek behind the scenes at this year's Westminster dog show.
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Teddy gets brushed and dried backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A beagle named Runner has his paws washed in the benching area. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
An Afghan Hound named Rider is blow dried before competing. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
A woman carts her English Bulldog toward the judging area. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
An Afghan Hound named Chino is given a drink of water by her handler. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
Angela, a Toy Poodle, is prepped before her competition. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Two handlers wait in the benching area. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Seven-year-old Ava Goldberg pets her pal Teddy backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A Chinese Crested named Vinny gets his ears all done up. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
A Bichon Frise waits patiently to be groomed. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
A Norwegian Buhund rests with his owner after a long day at the dog show. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week