inter storm Nemo is bearing down on the East Coast. Blizzard warnings have been put into effect from Maine to New Jersey, and Nemo is expected to dump up to 3 feet of snow on the New England area. And while this potentially historic blizzard keeps you huddled indoors, have a look back at some monumental snowstorms of the past. From London to New York City, here are 13 historic images of man vs. winter.
1927: Men work to dig out a buried locomotive snow plow in Amesbury, Wiltshire, England. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
1939: A French soldier carries a Spanish refugee's luggage down a mountain pass. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
1940: During one of the worst blizzards in New England history, the heart of Boston's shopping district is shut down. (AP Photo/Abe Fox)
1947: Two men dig out a car after a record-breaking snowfall of 26.4 inches in New York City. (AP Photo)
1950: Webster Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh is buried under snow. (AP Photo/Walter Stein)
1963: Policemen and ambulance-men attend football a game during a blizzard in London. (Fox Photos/Getty Images)
1963: A worker at the Whipsnade Zoo feeds sheep and cattle during a blizzard in Bedfordshire, England. (William Vanderson/Fox Photos/Getty Images)
1965: A family braves a storm in London as they pass by St. Paul's Cathedral. (Evening Standard/Getty Images)
1978: A woman carrying an umbrella makes her way down a deserted highway in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy)
1978: A hot dog vendor try to keep warm during a snowstorm in New York City. (AP Photo)
1979: A man drives a small snowplow down a normally crowded Hamburg Street in Germany. (AP Photo/Helmut Lohmann)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- When will the Big One strike California?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week