teve Jobs is rehearsing his pitch in the mirror. Bloggers are already at their keyboards. Today, after years of speculation, Apple will unveil its new tablet device, unofficially nicknamed the iPad. In the months leading up to this almost implausibly hyped event, YouTube-minded Apple zealots have been busy concocting a series of hypothetical "TV commercials" for the as-yet-unseen device. Here, the 6 best—and worst—of the fake iPad ads.
• The Paintbox: Although the last thing anyone would want on their slick new Apple toy is blotches of Day-Glo paint, this enthusiast's execution is very Apple-esque. Less Apple-esque: The morbid lyrics of the bouncy song that backs it. Views to date: 217,727
• The Jett-Pack: Despite the grainy video quality and an amateurish hand-model, this spot makes an ambitious attempt to preview how the tablet's touch function would actually work. Again, the music is a misstep: Would Steve Jobs ever choose a song as crude as Joan Jett's "Do You Want to Touch Me"? Views to date: 45,237
• The iFinger: Unlike the first two ads, this promo went for high concept, and the result is impressive. It might have been even more impressive if it didn't so strongly evoke the scene in Big where Tom Hanks hops on the giant keyboard at FAO Schwarz. Views to date: 25,162
• The Drablet: This ad does a decent job of previewing rumored functionalities. But where's the inspiration? Snapshots of Idaho and a nondescript indie band aren't going to fire up Apple's base. Views to date: 12,879
• iPad vs PC: I'm a Mac! I'm a PC! And I'm an odd-looking pair of actors ripping off an old Onion article called "Apple Claims New iPhone Only Visible to Most Loyal Of Customers." This parody might have looked fresh back when Apple's "he said, he said" ads first aired in 2006. Views to date: 3,071
• The iSlate Odyssey: This slapdash attempt to reference Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey is slight and sloppy. The auteur gets everything wrong—from the type (an outline font?) to the Tablet's launch date. Views to date: 963
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week