simple outdoorsman, widely hailed as the "Last American Man" thanks to his rustic approach to life, may be forced to vacate his campground home of 30 years due to building code violations. The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina is threatening to condemn the settlement of Eustace Conway, 51, unless he modernizes his outhouses, kitchens, and the wood used in several of his ramshackle structures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week